I recently went to Colorado to visit the family. I love to go there to be with my son, daughter-in-law, and of course my grandchildren. While there, Amy and Dan decided that homemade doughnuts would be a superb treat on Sunday morning. Okay! Sounds just great to me. I decided to help Amy out by making the chocolate cake doughnuts while she put together the raised ones. Hmm. Notice that I said I decided to help Amy out? Well, just what you would think. Everyone wants the donuts, even suggests making them, and then where are they when the time comes to make them? That’s okay Dan. We appreciate all the cooking you do.
Back to the doughnuts. Pretty good. I’ve gotta say that I had wished I did not glaze them as they were sweet enough. I do think a light glaze with coconut on top would be delicious. Maybe next time…After a few weeks of dieting.
Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tbsps. butter, melted
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, sour milk, and melted butter.
3. Stir into dry ingredients until well blended.
4. Chill until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
5. Put dough onto a generously floured surface.
6. Pat dough out to about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cut out doughnuts with a 3 inch floured cutter.
8. Fill a deep fryer or pan with oil till the fill line. Heat to 375*.
9. Carefully drop each doughnut, one at a time, into fat.
10.Cook about 2 minutes each side until puffy. Drain on paper towels.
11.Glaze with a sugar glaze if desired. Sprinkle with coconut, chocolate sprinkles, etc.