Today was a professional development day, better known as a half day for kids, work for the teachers, but in our school it is BEST known for food. Yep, that’s right! You may be thinking that the teachers in our district get a lot of training so therefore the kids must be a lot smarter.
Right? Well, that is true, we have a bunch of smarty pant teachers and students, but we also learn to fine tune our culinary skills on these days. Today was no different. It was Itallian Buffet Day and that goes without saying is a buffet with Itallian food. Hmm. Not too hard to plan for this one. (Mantineo-great Italian name). I also recently received a jar of Nutella from one of the most giving people I know, Heather Blanchard. I happened to mention to her that I had never tasted Nutella and lo and behold the next day I receive a jar. Not something I really needed, but who in their right mind says no to food gifts. Tried the stuff and OMG it is so freakin’ delicious. Is it healthy?
Yeah, right! 200 calories for 2 tbsps. and I am sure the size of their tablespoon does not equal mine. My thoughts were to get rid of this jar as soon as possible as I have an addiction to good food (like most normal people on the planet) so I decided to rid myself of this jar by creating an absolutely delicious calorie packed dessert for the Italian buffet. Nutella must be Italian. Sounds like it. Gina says she eats in when in Italy so I have all my bases covered with this one. Italian buffet dessert and, AND, I get to get rid of the evil Nutella! Not so, as the recipe called for a jar of this concoction of crushed hazel nuts and cocoa and because it is so delish I had already eaten 1/4 of the jar, so I had to go get another jar of it and now I am right back where I started from! But, one good turn deserves another so I made my dessert and watched little tiny Miss Heather enjoy eating them! I hope everyone else did too. Here is the way to make these incredible bars. Now, what to do with the rest of the other jar…
Nutella Oatmeal Bars
- 1- 21 ounce jar Nutella
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups steel cut oatmeal (not the instant or quick kind)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Butter a 13 X 9 in pan and preheat the oven to 350*.
- Place flour, oatmeal, sugars, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour melted butter over flour mixture and stir til crumbly.
- Press about 3/4 of this into the bottom of the pan.
- Zap the Nutella in the micro for about 20 seconds and spread on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Go to the store and get the next size pants because you’re going to need them!